It is with great pleasure that NOW! Bali presents the first volume of an all-new publication, TIMELESS Bali. As its name suggests, every story and feature in this printed ‘book-meets-magazine’ is focused on what we consider ‘real Bali’. The elements of Bali that we consider ‘timeless’.
This limited special edition has been conceptualised to return ‘print’ to its golden age. Every page is home to a story that must be read, photographs that inspire, and thus a magazine to be kept and cherished for years to come. The content matches this mission, with articles that will last forever: stories on Bali’s past, present and future; stories on the seen and unseen; stories on places and people.
About TIMELESS Bali
A mission of TIMELESS Bali is really to educate and enlighten readers on the core elements of Bali, to foster a deeper understanding of the things one sees around the island.
“Why have we made this publication? Honestly it’s a labour of love,” shares Publisher Alistair Speirs. “We want to portray the eternal aspects of Bali in a way that the world will appreciate, and as people understand these aspects and grow to love them they will start to respect them and hopefully strive to protect and preserve them, and as they preserve them they may want to teach others about them and encourage them to do the same.”
We believe that the pandemic has helped Bali to pause and reflect, recognising that its path to ‘mass tourism’ was not sustainable, nor an accurate reflection of what the island has to offer visitors. It is our hope that our publication will assist Bali’s future by re-focusing people’s attention back to culture, nature, history, society and even creativity.
What will you find in TIMELESS Bali?
Taking on a completely new format, TIMELESS Bali is comprised of purely non-commercial editorial. Our new Chapters include
• Perspectives, insightful opinion pieces commenting on the state of Bali.
• Made in Bali, an exposé on Bali’s local artisans or craftspeople.
• Island Explorations, an in-depth destination guide, inclusive of the historical and cultural significance of each destination featured.
• Temple Legends, interesting, lesser-known tales of Bali’s many temples.
• Cultural Observer, in-depth and long-form pieces explaining a chosen topic on Balinese culture and society.
• Timeless Bali, explaining the typical, everyday elements of Balinese Hindu culture. Commonly seen, rarely understood.
• Believe It or Not, sharing myths and folklore from Bali’s ‘unseen’ world.
Our in-house writers, with the help of cherished contributors Jean Couteau, Richard Horstman and Susan Ruddy, have worked to bring the island to life in these pages. If you love Bali, we know you will love TIMELESS Bali.
Ordering a copy of TIMELESS Bali
TIMELESS Bali is great for any Bali household or villa, or even for businesses looking for a meaningful gift. Specifications: A4-Dimensions, semi-hard cover, 120 pages.
• Each copy of TIMELESS is IDR 150.000, not including delivery.
• Delivery cost depends on your area / location
– Bali & Jakarta – IDR 25.000 delivery (per copy)
– Indonesia (other) – IDR 40.000 delivery (per copy)
– Outside Indonesia – TBC, please inform us of your city and country so we can calculate your shipping costs.
• We set up delivery only once payment is received.
• Payment is done by Bank Transfer / Payapl, with proof of transfer required.
With every copy of TIMELESS Bali sold, 30% of proceeds will be donated to Bali Crisis Kitchen, a Bali-based pandemic-relief community organisation that is helping those heavily affected by the pandemic. Crisis Kitchen Bali provide food provisions, urgent shelter or medical assistance, and create empowerment programs for the jobless.
No. of Copies: